Tuesday, October 19, 2010

35 weeks

Everything continues to be pretty uneventful. I saw my OB yesterday. Everything there is cool. My contractions are pretty non-existent. Baby is very active, more-so than I prefer;) Sleep is scant and life is generally good.

We are in the process of lining up a volunteer doula to see us through the birth. There is a great organization in my city that provides doulas-in-training to those who can not afford to hire one. So the doula gets to experience a birth and practice their skills and we get another person in the room to lean on. It is a pretty good deal.

During my son's birth I ended up with an epidural somewhere around 7-8 cm. It was mostly because I was vomiting like crazy. Contract, vomit, contract, vomit. I couldn't get a handle on it, and I couldn't breath. So I am going to talk to my OB to see if I can have some z.o.f.r.a.n, or the like, to try to prevent the barfing before it start and possibly spare me the epidural. I had a vaginal birth anyhow-- which I am very grateful for-- but I would love to do it unmedicated this time. We'll see. What will be will be. I am not the type to get upset about my birth experience as long as everyone is safe in the end. Oh, but I'd also like to skip the episiotomy this time. It sure sped things up, but made the healing harder.

I am scheduled to have my stitch removed on Nov 3rd. I was told I *may* have some cramping and discomfort with that. I hope it goes smoothly. I'll be 37 + 2, and thinking I'll last another 2 weeks. I delivered my son at 39 and hope for the same with this one.

Dang this blog is boring. Boring is good. If you need excitement, you'll have to back up nearly 2 years to the day. This pregnancy has just been so different. In a good way.

4 comments:

jenn said...

Boring is wonderful!!! I am so glad that you have had such an 'easy' time of it this time.
What is the doula-in-training organization? Sounds very interesting!

Good luck with the epi-free birth. Hopefully knowing what to expect to a certain extent helps a lot with having a bit different experience!

anne said...

Very interested in this volunteer doula program... Do you think someone would come to Princeton? Thanks for the update!

admin said...

I would say it is worth contacting them. You never know. Here is their website and contact info:
http://palsdoulas.com/
pals.prenatal@gmail.com

anne said...

Thanks so much. I talked to a lovely woman named Selma tonight, and I'm crossing my fingers someone will take me.