Monday, June 2, 2008

At this very moment + NT scan

DH is edging the garden in brick. I am sitting under the shade of our 1950's awning with laptop in hand - searching the web for some idea of what my NT scan means. (image is mirrored)


About a week ago I started feeling nervous about the scan, wondering if it would just cause more worry. But I have been having enough trouble that I wanted another look at the roomie. Today, the little squirrel was wiggling all over like crazy. We even saw him/her putting his/her hand up to her mouth. It felt good.

Then the doc came in and dropped the "in the normal range but on the high side" on me. I have to wait for the blood work to process and all factors to be taken into consideration - but I am already a little antsy. I am also concerned that no one ever really dated my pregnancy with any accuracy - and I wonder if that effects the results. Anyhow, I should hear from the genetics counselor later in the week.

If anyone knows any good online resources (other than those easily g00gled) for understanding results - that would be helpful. I am 13w2d and the NT measurement was 2.1mm. I have read that 2.5 and below is normal and in another article, 3.0. Well see.

Greedy babymama. I just had to have another look. Arg.

=======================

UPDATE:
This seems to be the most pointed estimate I can find. "An NT measurement of up to 2.0mm is normal at about 11 weeks, and up to about 2.8mm by 13 weeks and 6 days." Meaning the Doc was right. I am within normal, but on the high end. The other thing I learned is that the NT fold increases with gestational age. I had my scan 4 days before the cut off. That means my due date needs to be accurate. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that my bloodwork looks super and swings my risk in the right direction...

5 comments:

Meg said...

have no real resources for you on the NT number. This will be a long week for you I am sure....I am pretty positive inaccurate gestational ages will affect your scan results. My SIL had this happen and the genetics counselor came back with good/reassuring news.

Hang in there.

jenn said...

I also don't have any resources for you- but it would make sense that an innacurate dating would tend to make you look like you got a higher reading than you did. I hope you can get through the week alright. I'm sure everything will be just fine. The roomie is a good little squirrel... :o) I love that you refer to him/her as a squirrel, I think the animal nicknames are the best!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the 12wk screening was a mindfuck for me too. My NT measurement came back fine, so did the number derived from my age, but the blood test threw in something screwy. I ended up being very very slightly out of the high risk range.

I can't remember the numbers now (how did that happen?) but say the cut off point between high & low risk is 1:300, I was at 1:305 or so.

Something else they look for at that time is the nasal bone - having one is GOOD. I trawled through all the images til I found that arrow with the words nasal bone. I didn't realise this til I'd been freaking out for a few weeks.

Inaccurate dating would surely lead to an inaccurate NT measurement.

From memory the test is meant to be done after 11wks but before 14wks.

Mindy said...

Sorry I can't help with any resources, just wanted to say hang in there and hoping you get reassuring news later in the week.
Take care.

sara said...

I'm sorry I'm a dud when it comes to these numbers. But I'm glad you're in the normal range (even if it's a little high). There is always something to worry about. Does anyone actually have a normal pregnancy? If these women exist we should track them down and kick their butt, okay?